Ranger Comeback Falls Short

Ran out of time...

Updated Thursday May 7, 2015 by Justin Markley.

The Durango Rangers hosted the Durango Angels on Wednesday night at ALP.  Although the Rangers didn't show up in their pajamas, they did appear to be sleepy to begin the game.  The Angels put across 8 runs in the first 3 innings on just 3 hits.  The Rangers were committing errors, throwing wild pitches, dropping third strikes, and allowing stolen bases.  It must have been the rainbows distracting the Rangers.

And then the cloudy skies turned to lightening skies and a shot of energy came over the Rangers.  In the top of the 4th, down 11-1, Thomas Barnes made a play on a pop fly in foul territory between home plate and the first base dug out.  He laid out catching the ball in the air and landing on his chest nearly sliding head first into the fence.  It was an amazing play, and it wasn't over.  The Angels had their runner at first tag and then advance to second, but the runner didn't stop.  He tried to push it to third but Mr. Barnes' arm was too strong as he threw over to Lukas Minerich who applied the tag.  The Rangers were awake!

Noah Pritchard added a jolt of his own sending the first pitch in the bottom of the 4th to the center field fence and legged out a triple.  Derek Carman later knocked Noah in for a run.  Augie Prugh advanced Derek, and Derek scored on a passed ball, making it 11-3.

Thomas Barnes stood on the bump for the 5th and only had to face four Angels to get the Rangers out of a scoreless defensive inning.  The first of the game for the Rangers.  The top of the order was up for the Rangers in the bottom of the 5th and started with some disciplined plate appearances...three consecutive walks.  Three runners scored on wild pitches and a passed ball.  Noah added a single and later scored on a double hit by Niko Martinez.  The rally was going strong with the score at 11-7 when overexcited coach Justin sent Niko home from third on a dropped ball.  The tag was made at the plate and the inning was over.

Just as the Rangers were back in the game, the clouds had covered nearly all the sun light and the game was called.  It was a thrilling comeback but fell just a little short.  Next time the Rangers will come awake and ready to play at the first pitch!  

This article has No Comments.
Be the first to add your comments!
Click the "Post a New Comment" button below.
firstname lastname commented Just Now

You must be a member of the League and logged in to post comments. Login here.